THE HISTORIC DERBY STREET NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION
Download as PDF [26 KB]
The House of the Seven Gables
The Annual Appeal is going on now; any and all donations are greatly appreciated in support of their programs and the community. Membership is:
- $45 for Individual
- $65 for Family
- $30 Student
- $30 Senior
May is Historic Preservation Month; check out the work that goes into maintaining The House of the Seven Gables.
June 3rd is Festival of Food in conjunction with Salem Food Tours.
Annual fundraiser, Taste of the Gables, is September 17th, 4-10pm.
Ward 1 candidates
- Robert McCarthy (incumbent)
- Brendan Murphy
- All nomination paper must be in by July 25, 2017
- Tuesday, September 12, 2017 is city preliminary election.
- Tuesday, November 7, 2017 is final municipal election.
- Check HDSNA on Facebook for updated lists of all candidates.
$10.00 per household, donations always welcome.
Sign up for our email list at firstname.lastname@example.org
Neighborhood street sweeping will be Tuesday, May 23rd; look for sign and/or double check the schedule on line.
HDSNA Home Maintenance/Repair List
- HDSNA is developing a neighborhood resident sourced list of home repair and maintenance companies/individuals as a resource for residents.
- To recommend someone or a company see hdsna.org/referrals.
- for more information contact Brianna Kenny email@example.com
- HDSNA is not endorsing and one person/company but rather facilitating the exchange of information.
Our next meeting will be our popular and fun Summer Picnic! Date and time TBD. Look for notices in July/August.
UPDATE ON FOOTPRINT WITH PETER FURNISS
Project started in 2012 and is expected to be finish and on line in 2017. The structure is largely done and we will start to see a decrease in the number of daily workers. This summer the first gas turbine will be commissioned; the construction of the berm is to begin; and the inside construction to commence.
Expect to be on Line?
- Not making the June 1st projected date.
- Will start providing power over the summer.
- Fully operational in the coming months.
When will the fence come down?
- In the fall one the berm goes up and the construction is done.
What is the berm made of?
- Combination of ground brick, concrete and clean fill. Not sure how fill will be brought in.
How much gas will come from fracked sources?
- Unknown, there are no frackable sources in MA. When purchasing natural gas you don’t know actual source.
- LNG will come in through terminal in the Maritimes.
- The goal is to be the most efficient and reduce carbon emissions, the power plant will be able to start in 15 minutes versus prior start time of 6-7 hours and will run only when needed which reduces the use of natural gas.
Traffic coming/going from site
- Complaints: loud, don’t follow stop/direction signs, speeding, disrespectful to residents.
- Bob McCarthy (Ward 1 Councilor): working with police to get daily detail, adjusted lights, construction barriers put on certain streets.
- Suggestions from audience: speed bumps, surveillance cameras,
- Footprint representative did not have a concrete answer and will continue to look into solutions.
Lights on stack
- FAA light must stay
- Lights have been adjust as not to flash and shine into neighborhood
- Looking to use lights on exterior side handles to be able to change colors.
- Looking at ways to use stack as an icon.
Redevelopment of southern part
- Footprint looking at mixed use ideas.
- Zoned as designation port area.
- Commitment to Salem to continue to bring in cruise ships.
- Still trying to figure out public access.
- Putting together a plan/ideas
- Need to get public/neighborhood input!
- Northern port can only do maritime industrial.
- There is no indication of a compressor station being built in Salem
Projected noise level?
- Louver system, wind wall, and berm around the plant should work together to dampen noise.
Other questions or concerns relating to Footprint can be addressed to Marcia MacClary, Director of Public Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org, 617-697-3820 (c), or 781-647-3345 (h).